Tim Vitullo is a bit different.
An accomplished singer, guitarist, & songwriter, Vitullo decided to return home to both Pittsburgh & his blues influences to record Josephine & Assorted Train Songs, his debut studio LP.
This statement finds Vitullo coming into his own as both a vocalist & composer after spending several years primarily as a “guitarist-for-hire.” Songs like "Josephine" are made concise & accessible by a smooth delivery & sly sense of humor. Ballads "Letters" & "A Different Kind of Blue" are earnest experiments in confessional-style songwriting flanked by dense vocal & horn arrangements. Further, burners "Interstate Jesus," "Black & White Wonderful," & "Pretty Good" (a cover of the John Prine classic) flash the guitar prowess that has been Vitullo's calling card since his earliest musical ventures. These songs combine to create a portrait of “contemporary Americana blues” music that borrows as much from Vitullo’s jazz, jam band, & country influences as it does the American blues tradition.
Josephine & Assorted Train Songs was produced, engineered, & mixed by singer/songwriter & producer Steven Foxbury in Pittsburgh, PA. Recorded entirely at Foxbury's Yellow Couch Studio, the LP is a homegrown display of some of Pittsburgh's most promising young talents.
Prior to Josephine & Assorted Train Songs, Vitullo established himself as an exciting, young jazz composer & improviser in State College, PA with the release of This is the Thing! in 2012. That EP, comprised completely of Vitullo’s original compositions, explores the harmonic & melodic characteristics of bebop, Brazilian bossa nova, modal jazz, & fusion genres. Those recordings doubled as Vitullo's undergraduate thesis, allowing him to graduate with Honors in Music from The Pennsylvania State University that same year. Many are surprised to learn that he received a Bachelor's of Science in Civil & Environmental Engineering upon graduation too. This is the Thing! was produced by Dr. Stephen Hopkins (who is also featured on piano throughout the album) & engineered, mixed, & mastered by multi-platinum recording engineer Marc Frigo at his former State College, PA studio.
Currently, Tim is performing regularly with his group, the Tim Vitullo Band (TVB), in the Northeast & Midwest United States in support of Josephine & Assorted Train Songs. Tim was also featured as a "Who's Next: Up & Coming Artist Under 40" by The Incline magazine and as an Artist-in-Residence at James Street Gastropub & Speakeasy in 2017. He is preparing material for a follow-up album to be recorded in 2018.
Tim Vitullo and his band have had the pleasure of sharing stages with the following artists:
- JJ Grey & Mofro
- Jared Hart
- Horse Thief
- Mo Lowda & The Humble
- Ross Livermore
- Danielle Nicole
- B.B. King
- The Marcus King Band
- Cory Branan
- TR3 feat. Tim Reynolds
- Devon Allman
- We Are Scientists
- State Radio
- Tommy Castro & The Painkillers
Tim Vitullo and his band have had the pleasure of performing at the following events & venues:
- Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts (State College, PA)
- Snowshoe Mtn. Blues, Brews, & BBQ Festival (Snowshoe, WV)
- Jamaica Plain Porchfest (Boston, MA)
- Brandywine Strawberry Festival (Coatesville, PA)
- Bedford Fall Foliage Festival (Bedford, PA)
- Centre County Grange Fair (Centre Hall, PA)
- Dick's Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Deustchtown Music Festival (Pittsburgh, PA)
- RANT Lawrenceville (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Millvale Music Festival (Millvale, PA)
- All Scene Music Festival (Millvale, PA)
- Katic's Backwoods Bash (Fenelton, PA)
- Stage AE (Pittsburgh, PA)
- The Plough & Stars (Cambridge, MA)
- Dogfish Head Brewings & Eats (Rehoboth Beach, DE)
- Big Cork Vineyard (Rohrersville, MD)
- Tellus360 (Lancaster, PA)
- Mr. Small's Theatre (Millvale, PA)
- The Funhouse at Mr. Small's (Millvale, PA)
- Diesel Club Lounge (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Club Cafe (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Moondog's (Blawnox, PA)
- Long Live Woody Guthrie! Festival (Pittsburgh, PA)
- The Thunderbird Cafe (Pittsburgh, PA)
- brillobox (Pittsburgh, PA)
- James Street Gastropub & Speakeasy (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Wigle Whiskey Barrelhouse (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Hard Rock Cafe (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Howler's Coyote Cafe (Pittsburgh, PA)
- The Park House (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Cattivo (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Spirit (Pittsburgh, PA)
- The Claddagh (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Atria's Live at PNC Park (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Rock the Quarry (Oakdale, PA)
- Run Around the Square 5K (Regent Square, PA)
- Pints on Penn (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Bloomfield Bridge Tavern (Pittsburgh, PA)
- The Smiling Moose (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Hambone's (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Station Square Food Truck Festival (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Royal (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Millvale Studios (Millvale, PA)
- Panza Gallery (Millvale, PA)
- Cousin's Lounge (Millvale, PA)
- Our Clubhouse (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Verdetto's (Pittsburgh, PA)
- The New Manhattan (Hubbard, OH)
- Penn Murry (Export, PA)
meet the tvb
Brent McConnell (Drums & Percussion)
Brent has been with TVB since its inception playing the drum set & cajon. He holds the claim as the first “non-Tim” member of the group. Brent’s drumming can be heard on all tracks of “Josephine & Assorted Train Songs.” Brent was so committed to the recording project that he even hand-crafted a few cymbals (with a little help & a few cases of beer) just for the sessions!
Before joining forces with Tim, Brent also played with Mahajibee Blues Band for sixteen years. The experience not only brought Brent & Tim together, it also took Brent across the Midwest to share stages with the likes of B.B. King, Magic Slim, Bobby Rush, Deep Purple, & Robert Balfour.
David Fix (Double Bass, Bass Guitar, & Vocals)
Dave's talents with the double bass & bass guitar were noticed early on, garnering him gigs with North Pittsburgh Philharmonic, Dan Barrett Trio, & groups of his own design through high school. He attended Berklee College of Music in Boston. While there, he was featured in Shpeez & Chatter. His time at Berklee was not without challenges though-- Fix sliced his index finger on his fret hand while moving back to school for his senior year. Luckily, he was still able to graduate on-time with only three working fingers, receiving a Bachelor's in Professional Music.
Fully-healed & back in Pittsburgh, Dave took a brief hiatus from performing to focus on his family's business. He's since been spotted with Nightly Standard & Carolina Shine in addition to TVB.
Ryan Mocniak (Guitar, Saxophones, & Vocals)
Ryan has been friends with Tim since they meet at the annual Duquesne Guitar Workshop in 2006. However, it wasn't until 2015 that the two collaborated musically. Ryan contributed alto & tenor saxophones parts throughout Josephine and Assorted Train Songs. He became a full-time member of the band in 2016, adding his top-notch guitar, saxophone, & vocals to round out the TVB sound.
In 2009 Ryan received a Minor in Music from Penn State where he played lead alto in the feature jazz ensemble, Centre Dimensions. In college, Ryan studied jazz during the school year & played in a classic rock band called "civilian." during the summer. Double-timing between genres has paid of, as Ryan has been actively performing & recording with both jazz & rock groups ever since.