Tim Vitullo is a bit different.
An accomplished singer, guitarist, & songwriter, Vitullo decided to return home to both Pittsburgh & his blues influences to record Josephine & Assorted Train Songs, his debut studio LP.
This statement finds Vitullo coming into his own as both a vocalist & composer after spending several years primarily as a “guitarist-for-hire.” Songs like "Josephine" are made concise & accessible by a smooth delivery & sly sense of humor. Ballads "Letters" & "A Different Kind of Blue" are earnest experiments in confessional-style songwriting flanked by dense vocal & horn arrangements. Further, burners "Interstate Jesus," "Black & White Wonderful," & "Pretty Good" (a cover of the John Prine classic) flash the guitar prowess that has been Vitullo's calling card since his earliest musical ventures. These songs combine to create a portrait of “contemporary Americana blues” music that borrows as much from Vitullo’s jazz, jam band, & country influences as it does the American blues tradition.
Josephine & Assorted Train Songs was produced, engineered, & mixed by singer/songwriter & producer Steven Foxbury in Pittsburgh, PA. Recorded entirely at Foxbury's Yellow Couch Studio, the LP is a homegrown display of some of Pittsburgh's most promising young talents.
Prior to Josephine & Assorted Train Songs, Vitullo established himself as an exciting, young jazz composer & improviser in State College, PA with the release of This is the Thing! in 2012. That EP, comprised completely of Vitullo’s original compositions, explores the harmonic & melodic characteristics of bebop, Brazilian bossa nova, modal jazz, & fusion genres. Those recordings doubled as Vitullo's undergraduate thesis, allowing him to graduate with Honors in Music from The Pennsylvania State University that same year. Many are surprised to learn that he received a Bachelor's of Science in Civil & Environmental Engineering upon graduation too. This is the Thing! was produced by Dr. Stephen Hopkins (who is also featured on piano throughout the album) & engineered, mixed, & mastered by multi-platinum recording engineer Marc Frigo at his former State College, PA studio.
Currently, Tim is performing regularly with his group, the Tim Vitullo Band (TVB), in the Northeast & Midwest United States in support of Josephine & Assorted Train Songs. Tim was also featured as a "Who's Next: Up & Coming Artist Under 40" by The Incline magazine and as an Artist-in-Residence at James Street Gastropub & Speakeasy in 2017. He is preparing material for a follow-up album to be recorded in 2018.
Tim Vitullo and his band have had the pleasure of sharing stages with the following artists:
- The Floozies
- JJ Grey & Mofro
- Tommy Castro & The Painkillers
- Jared Hart
- Horse Thief
- Mo Lowda & The Humble
- Danielle Nicole
- Ross Livermore
- B.B. King
- The Marcus King Band
- Moon Taxi
- Cory Branan
- TR3 feat. Tim Reynolds
- Perpetual Groove
- Devon Allman
- We Are Scientists
- State Radio
- Jack Broadbent
Tim Vitullo and his band have had the pleasure of performing at the following events & venues:
- Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts (State College, PA)
- Michigan Chicken Wing Festival (Lansing, MI)
- Snowshoe Mtn. Blues, Brews, & BBQ Festival (Snowshoe, WV)
- Jamaica Plain Porchfest (Boston, MA)
- Port Austin Porch Fest (Port Austin, MI)
- Brandywine Strawberry Festival (Coatesville, PA)
- Bedford Fall Foliage Festival (Bedford, PA)
- Centre County Grange Fair (Centre Hall, PA)
- LionFire Music Festival (Slippery Rock, PA)
- Pappy Z's Farm Fest (Negley, OH)
- GareFest (Sandy Lake, PA)
- Deustchtown Music Festival (Pittsburgh, PA)
- RANT Lawrenceville (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Millvale Music Festival (Millvale, PA)
- All Scene Music Festival (Millvale, PA)
- Katic's Backwoods Bash (Fenelton, PA)
- Dick's Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Stage AE (Pittsburgh, PA)
- The Plough & Stars (Cambridge, MA)
- GrandTen Distilling (Boston, MA)
- Dogfish Head Brewings & Eats (Rehoboth Beach, DE)
- Nietzsche's (Buffalo, NY)
- PAK's Backyard (Port Austin, MI)
- Big Cork Vineyard (Rohrersville, MD)
- Tellus360 (Lancaster, PA)
- Mr. Small's Theatre (Millvale, PA)
- The Funhouse at Mr. Small's (Millvale, PA)
- Diesel Club Lounge (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Club Cafe (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Moondog's (Blawnox, PA)
- Long Live Woody Guthrie! Festival (Pittsburgh, PA)
- The Thunderbird Cafe (Pittsburgh, PA)
- brillobox (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Cinderlands Beer Co. (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Full Pint Wild Side Pub (Pittsburgh, PA)
- James Street Gastropub & Speakeasy (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Wigle Whiskey Barrelhouse (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Hard Rock Cafe (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Howler's Coyote Cafe (Pittsburgh, PA)
- The Park House (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Evangeline (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Cattivo (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Spirit (Pittsburgh, PA)
- The Squirrel Hill Sports Bar (Pittsburgh, PA)
- The Claddagh (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Atria's Live at PNC Park (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Rock the Quarry (Oakdale, PA)
- Run Around the Square 5K (Regent Square, PA)
- Pints on Penn (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Bloomfield Bridge Tavern (Pittsburgh, PA)
- The Smiling Moose (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Hambone's (Pittsburgh, PA)
- The Railyard Grill & Taproom (Bridgeville, PA)
- 31 Sports Bar & Grille (Bridgeville, PA)
- Station Square Food Truck Festival (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Royal (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Millvale Studios (Millvale, PA)
- Panza Gallery (Millvale, PA)
- Cousin's Lounge (Millvale, PA)
- Our Clubhouse (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Verdetto's (Pittsburgh, PA)
- The New Manhattan (Hubbard, OH)
- Penn Murry (Export, PA)
meet the tvb
Brent McConnell (Drums & Percussion)
Brent has been with TVB since its inception playing the drum set & cajon. He holds the claim as the first “non-Tim” member of the group. Brent’s drumming can be heard on all tracks of “Josephine & Assorted Train Songs.” Brent was so committed to the recording project that he even hand-crafted a few cymbals (with a little help & a few cases of beer) just for the sessions!
Before joining forces with Tim, Brent also played with Mahajibee Blues Band for sixteen years. The experience not only brought Brent & Tim together, it also took Brent across the Midwest to share stages with the likes of B.B. King, Magic Slim, Bobby Rush, Deep Purple, & Robert Balfour.
David Fix (Double Bass, Bass Guitar, & Vocals)
Dave's talents with the double bass & bass guitar were noticed early on, garnering him gigs with North Pittsburgh Philharmonic, Dan Barrett Trio, & groups of his own design through high school. He attended Berklee College of Music in Boston. While there, he was featured in Shpeez & Chatter. His time at Berklee was not without challenges though-- Fix sliced his index finger on his fret hand while moving back to school for his senior year. Luckily, he was still able to graduate on-time with only three working fingers, receiving a Bachelor's in Professional Music.
Fully-healed & back in Pittsburgh, Dave took a brief hiatus from performing to focus on his family's business. He's since been spotted with Nightly Standard & Carolina Shine in addition to TVB.
Cody Piper (Piano, Keyboards, & Vocals)
Cody, another Pittsburgh born-&-bred talent, started playing piano at age five & has been dedicated to it ever since. During his teenage years, Cody enrolled in Carnegie Mellon University's Music Preparatory School & won the Pittsburgh Concert Society Young Artist’s Competition in 2013. Such accomplishments led him to complete a Music Minor at Carnegie Mellon University along with his B.S. in Computer Engineering in 2018. Now a member of the TVB, Cody brings his expert vocal, piano, & keyboard skills to the group's arrangements.
In addition to being a gifted vocalist & instrumentalist, Cody is also a prolific songwriter. You can hear his love of The Beatles, Queen, & Badfinger in both TVB's arrangements as well as his other band, Nightly Standard, in which he also plays with Dave.